The New Mexico State Police has the statewide authority to investigate and enforce criminal statutes, motor vehicle statutes, and administrative statutes. Our department is much more than a highway patrol agency.
The selection process to become a New Mexico State Police Officer is extremely competitive, and only a small number of those who apply will become commissioned officers. We are looking for an elite group of mature, responsible, and professional individuals who choose to make a difference in our society by their service and dedication to others.
- NMSP Officers are stationed throughout the State of New Mexico.
- Recruits who graduate from the Academy first serve two years in the Uniform Bureau in their assigned location, then may apply for transfer to another district or for service in one of the Advanced/Specialized Units.
- NMSP Lateral Applicants currently are eligible for an $8,000 hiring bonus upon successful of the academy. They will be informed of available duty assignments during the selection process, and will be able to choose a duty assignment prior to starting the academy. This location will be guaranteed and upon successful completion of the lateral academy, the applicant/officer will be stationed in this location.
Opportunities for Advancement
After graduating from the Academy, officers serve two years in the Uniform Bureau, then may apply for transfer to another district or for service in one of the Advanced/Specialized Units.:
- Full time specialized units:
- Investigations Bureau, Tactical Team, EOD, K9, Aircraft, Commercial Motor Vehicle Enforcement, Governor’s Security Detail, Crime Scene Team, Accident Reconstruction Team, Special Investigations Division.
- Additional specialized units for part-time participation:
- Crisis Negotiations Team, Dive Team, Motorcycle Unit, Honor Guard, Hazmat Officer, Emergency Response Team, Bicycle Unit
Uniforms & Equipment
- All uniforms and equipment are provided, beginning in the Academy.
- Commissioned Officers receive a uniform allowance of $500 twice per year for the purchase of uniform items (after 1 year of service)
- Take home vehicle
- 25 year retirement at 75%, with the ability to earn up to 90% by longevity
- No maximum age limit to start your career, no age requirement to retire. You must be at least 21 years of age by the time you are commissioned, following the Academy.
- An Optional Tax Shelter Savings Program (Deferred Compensation) is available.
- – Preference given to those with law enforcement experience
- Military incentives – Waiver of 60 college hour requirements with two years of military service
- Health & Dental Insurance – Comprehensive and competitive plans, with options for vision and pre-paid legal services
- Life & Disability Insurance – $50,000 per DPS employee, with an additional $25,000 for being an NMSP Officer
- Vacation – Paid Vacation of 15-24 days per year, Paid Sick Leave of 12 days per year
- Duty Injury Leave – Allowance of up to 1440 paid hours for work-related injury/illness that occurs while performing non-administrative law enforcement duties.
- Additional Earning Opportunities
- Overtime Opportunities
- Shift differential
- Holiday Pay
- Incentive Pay for Bachelors ($100 per month) and Masters Degrees ($125 per month)
- A percentage increase is allowed for certain specialized units and positions